Our News

Paid too much or too little tax? Here’s what to do

If you’ve overpaid or underpaid your tax during the tax year, HMRC will notify you between now and October 2015. It’s called a P800 tax calculation.
This year, if you’ve paid too much or too little tax, they are making the process as easy as possible for you.

HMRC will tell you how we’re collecting any underpayment, or we’ll give you a cheque if we owe you money.

There is no need to contact them unless you think the details we’ve used are wrong.

What you need to do
If you get a P800 tax calculation, please check the details are correct.

You can:

compare the figures used with your own records, such as your P60, P11d, bank statements or letters from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
use the HMRC tax checker to check how much tax you should have paid
You don’t need to do anything if the calculation is correct.

If you’ve underpaid tax
If you haven’t paid enough tax, they will usually change your tax code for the next year to collect the money you owe. This happens automatically so you won’t need to do anything and don’t need to contact us.

Sometimes they can’t collect the money you owe through your tax code, for example, if you’re now out of work. In this case, they will write to you explaining how to pay the money you owe.

If you’ve overpaid tax
If you have paid too much tax, they will automatically send you a cheque within 14 days of receipt of your P800. You won’t need to do anything and don’t need to contact them.

Need help or advice feel free to contact us today contact@owenaccountants.co.uk

Print pagePDF pageEmail page

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Call Us Today T. 07913170448

M. 079131 70448 Or E Mail us Contact@owenaccountants.co.uk

Owen Accountants Limited - Company No. 08212188